In the 8th century, St. Aubert, bishop of Avranches, founded a first chapel devoted to St. Michael on the island. Later, the island was converted to a medieval fortified abbey. In 1789, the abbey was closed and converted to a prison for about 90 years. Later, the mount was declared as a French historic monument. Mont-St-Michel is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1979.
The photo was taken in July, 2011.